Leading the way in long term care through the passion of our members.
The long term care profession is respected, supported and valued.
Integrity, protection, honor, compassion
WHO WE ARE:
- The Mississippi Health Care Association (MHCA) was established as a trade association in 1953. MHCA is Mississippi’s oldest and largest association of nursing homes, personal care homes, and other long term care facilities.
- The MHCA is the state affiliate of the American Health Care Association, and as such, participates in national health care events and forums.
- The MHCA membership includes freestanding nursing homes as well as nursing homes in a hospital-based setting and personal care/assisted living facilities. Member facilities provide care to such diverse groups as the frail elderly, the mentally disabled, veterans groups, as well as, residential and personal care to residents requiring only assistance in a minimum number of activities of daily living.
- The MHCA provides its members with educational programs, legislative services, and government services.
- The MHCA encourages "safety in the workplace" for its members' employees by making participation in the MHCA Self Insurers' Fund available to qualifying facilities. The Fund operates under the laws and regulations of the State of Mississippi and the Workers' Compensation Commission.
- The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) licenses all MHCA members. The MSDH Division of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification certifies member nursing homes for participation in the Medicaid and Medicare programs.
- MHCA member nursing homes are regulated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Washington D.C.
- The primary funding source for nursing home patients in Mississippi is the Medicaid program, a division of the Office of the Governor. The Medicaid program in Mississippi is funded by appropriations made by the state legislature and by matching funds from the federal government.
- The MHCA membership provides care to approximately 17,000 patients and residents annually.
- MHCA members annually provide employment to approximately 20,000 Mississippians in various professional capacities.
- Member nursing homes operate under strict Medicaid and Medicare regulations mandated by the federal government.
- Nursing homes and long term care facilities are subject to all state and federal laws and regulations, such as OSHA, Workers' Compensation, labor and unemployment, and the Americans with Disabilities Act, just as any other employer. Generally, any law that affects business and employers in Mississippi affects nursing homes and other long term care facilities as an employer and a business.